This article will take you through;
- What is a Course?
- What is the difference between a Course'and a Class?
- The benefits of setting up a Course
- How to set up a Course
- How to share a link to a Course
- Enabling the Book a Friend system
- Next steps and additional support
What is a Course?
Sometimes called a Bootcamp, event, or workshop, a 'Course' is a group activity created by you with a particular start date, end date, 'Facility', 'Trainer' and 'Capacity' that can be booked by clients and usually requires a longer-term commitment than a 'Class'.
What is the difference between a Course and a Class?
There are a few major differences between classes and courses:
- Under a course, members are usually expected to attend each class on the course schedule, whereas, with a class, members can choose what classes and what times they wish to book in
- Under a course, the fee for each class is paid upfront and thus the gym/studio is paid regardless of attendance. With a class, the member must book and pay/use credit before each individual class.
- Under a course, all members will start together and finish together, however with a class, the members in each class may change day to day.
The benefits of setting up a Course
- Clients pay for the entire course in advance as a once-off purchase, helping you improve cash flow
- Regardless of whether members attend a class or not, you have already been paid, eliminating the fear of canceled bookings which also eliminates the lost revenue associated with canceled bookings
- By giving your members the option to purchase a course, you’re making their fitness regime more convenient as they don’t have to re-book and pay for class each and every week
How to set up a Course
To create a new course, follow the steps outlined below:
- From the dashboard, go to and click the 'Manage' tab
- Click on the 'Courses' tab
- Click '+Add' button
- Give your new course a name, description, and image
- Select the facility in which the course will take place and assign a trainer
- Determine the payment plan for the course by distinguishing whether the course is free for all, has a single price or a custom price:
- Single Price: You have the option to set a single course price for drop-ins and another course price for all members, no matter what membership they have purchased
- Different Prices: Here, you have the option to set exclusions on who can sign up for your course. When you exclude a particular membership type from a course, any member under this membership will be ineligible to purchase the course
- Custom Prices: Alternatively, if you wish to allow different memberships to purchase the course at varying price rates, you can create custom prices for the course
- Under the advanced settings, you can choose to set your course to Private. On private, the course becomes invisible to members so they cannot purchase it through your Member App or Website Portal. However, the course will still be available to you from your dashboard. You may wish to use this option for advanced courses so that members must purchase the course over the phone or at the front desk. This gives you the chance to confirm that they are right for the course.
Setting up the Course schedule
Once you have filled out the 'Details' section, you will then need to set up the schedule. Click the 'Schedule' tab, which is located beside the details tab you are currently in.
- Choose the start and end date for your course
- Select the days on which the course will occur
- Set the course capacity
- If your course has two classes on the same day, click the green ‘Add’ button beside the class time to add the alternative time
- If the trainer, facility, level or capacity is different for this alternative time slot, click the 'Cog' button to edit these criteria
- Click 'Save'
How to share a link to a Course
Sharing a link to a course is a great way to get the word out there.
To share a link to your course via the 'Website Portal', follow these steps;
- Click on the ☰ icon on the top right of the dashboard
- Click 'Website Integration'
- Scroll down to where it says 'Get Your Link' and click the 'Preview' button
- This will take you to a preview of your 'Website Portal'
- Go to and click the 'Courses' tab
- Click on the 'Course' you want to get the link for
- Click the 'Purchase' button
- Click the share button located in the top right corner. The link will be copied to your clipboard and can be pasted into emails or on social media
Tip: We suggest using a link shortening tool, so to have shorted URL's to send to your clients through Social media platforms. One we regularly suggest using is: Rebrandly
Enabling the Book a Friend system
Temporarily, when a client uses the 'Book a Friend' system, it will only charge for one person. Meaning you will need to monitor attendance and charge for the extra bookings on arrival to your gym/studio. We are currently working on updates to allow these additional charges to happen automatically.
To enable this feature, follow these steps:
- Click the ☰ icon on the right side of the dashboard
- Then click 'Settings'
- Go to the 'Booking' tab and click open on the 'Courses' window
- Scroll down and toggle the slide for 'Book friends' to 'ON'
- You can then choose the number of friends you'd like your clients to be able to bring (For the moment we advise keeping this number low, as you will have to monitor and charge them on arrival to your gym/studio)
- Once done, click 'Save Changes' on the top right-hand corner of the screen
Next steps and additional support
Once you have 'Courses' figure out, you will likely want to learn about 'Classes', Read the below article for more information;
- Setting up Classes
- Understanding the Difference Between Classes, Courses & Appointments
- Onboarding Your Client with Glofox
For additional support reach out to [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you.