This article will take you through;
- What is a Facebook Custom Tab?
- How do I set up a Facebook Custom Tab?
- Next steps and additional support
What is a Facebook Custom Tab?
A Facebook custom tab is an extra tab you can add to your business’s Facebook Page. This tab will display a feature from your Glofox web portal on your business’s Facebook Page using an iFrame.
You can add any feature from your Glofox web portal as a custom tab and there are no limits to the number of custom tabs you can add to your Facebook Page.
- In order to add a custom tab, your Facebook Page must have 2,000 or more likes as per Facebook’s Page Tabs rules
- Page tabs will only be displayed on the web-version of your Facebook Page. Mobile custom tabs are not supported by Facebook at this time
How do I set up a Facebook Custom Tab?
Getting started with Facebook for Developers
Firstly, you will need to visit developers.facebook.com and log in using the credentials that you use to log in to your business’s Facebook Page. Once you have logged in and set up a Facebook developer account, you will be prompted to create your first app. Alternatively, you can navigate to developers.facebook.com/apps and click ‘Create App’ to get started.
Once you click 'Create App', or ‘Create First App’ if this is your first time, you should choose the ‘Manage Business Integrations’ option and click ‘Continue’.
From the ‘Create an App’ page you should follow these steps:
- Choose an ‘App Display Name’. This can be anything you want as no one will see it but you.
- Add an ‘App Contact Email’.
- Select ‘Yourself or your own business’ as the ‘App Purpose’.
- Selecting the option for ‘Do you have a Business Manager account’ is totally optional and you can continue without it for now.
- Click ‘Create App’.
Next, in the sidebar on the left-hand side of the screen, while on your app page in Facebook for Developers, click ‘Settings’. Then click ‘Basic’.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘Add Platform’. Once you are prompted to ‘Select Platform’, you should select ‘Page Tab’.
Next, we will need the exact web portal URL you wish to use. The steps to get this are detailed below. You should keep the Facebook for Developers page open in a separate browser tab while you locate your web portal URL in Glofox.
Creating a web portal URL for your custom tab
- To get your web portal URL, navigate to the web integration page of your Glofox dashboard.
- Once you’re on the web integration page, click ‘Create Custom Link’. You can then select the features you wish to display.
- Once you’re happy with the selected features, click ‘Create Custom Link’.
Next, select the ‘Share Link’ option and click ‘Copy’.
If you have Sales and Marketing tools and wish to use a Lead Capture form as your custom tab, please read our guide on how to can convert your membership plan URL into a lead capture URL.
Adding your custom URL to your custom tab
Once you have your URL, you will need to shorten it using bitly.
You must shorten the link or the custom tab will not work.
Back on the Facebook for Developers page that you have open, you will see a form to set up your custom tab. Paste the shortened link from Bitly in the ‘Secure Page Tab URL’ field. Then, in the ‘Page Tab Name’ field, give your tab a name. This is what visitors to your Facebook Page will see.
Next, scroll to the top of the page to complete the setup.
- Enter bit.ly in the ‘App Domains’ field.
- Select a category for your app. 'Lifestyle' is the typical selection.
Click ‘Save Changes’, at the bottom of the page, and the app setup will be complete.
Depending on your version of Facebook you may need to toggle your App from ‘In Development’ to ‘Live’. This toggle will be visible at the top of the page, if it is applicable to you.
Adding your custom tab to your Facebook Page
Now that your custom tab has been set up, you will need to add it to your Facebook Page.
Please copy your App ID from the Facebook Developers page and add it to this URL:
For example, if your App ID is 12345abc, the URL will be:
The format of this URL must be exact, there should be no spaces.
Enter this URL into the address bar of your browser and you will be brought to a page similar to the below, where you will be asked to choose which Facebook Page you wish to use the custom tab on.
Select the Facebook Page you wish to use and click ‘Add Page Tab’.
Now, if you visit your Facebook Page, you will see your new custom tab as the last tab in your menu.
How do I move my new custom tab to the top of the list of menu options on my Facebook Page?
You are able to reorder your Facebook tabs from your Facebook Page by clicking ‘Settings’ and selecting ‘Templates and Tabs’ from the menu on the left.
You will then be able to drag your new tab to reorder it in the list of available tabs to a position of your preference.
Next steps and additional support
For more information on the Glofox web portal and getting the most of our lead capture form, you can check out the resources below.
- How to Use the Web Portal
- How to Capture Leads with Glofox
- Embedding the Lead Capture Form
- Glofox Growth Webinar: Effective Lead Acquisition Strategies
For additional support, reach out to [email protected]ox.com and we will be happy to assist you.